Since the man-friend (who has since became my fiancé) fell in love with these little Simple Paleo “Reese” Cups when I made them a few weeks ago, I decided to make these similar Almond Butter Eggs for my dessert contribution to my family’s Easter dinner this past week. Though they are a bit messy to make and need to be frozen to really hold together like the “normal” reese’s egg, they turned out to be pretty darn tasty.
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup unsweetened organic coconut (I finely shredded mine in the magic bullet)
3/4 cup powdered coconut or cane sugar (makes this recipe not really that paleo…but who gives a darn)
1 cup almond butter
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup chocolate chips
4 tbsp butter or ghee
3. Mix the almond butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Use a spatula to scrape the mixture into a medium sized baking dish.
5. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
7. Use an egg shaped cookie cutter to make the eggs. As you can see, Target was all out of egg cookie cutters on the day before Easter…so I improvised with these Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles eggs.. And I think I improvised pretty darn well!
8. Dip the eggs in the chocolate mixture. (I didn’t get any pictures of this step because my hands were messy and getting the egg in and out before it melted too much into the chocolate required focus).
9. Place in the freezer or fridge for set for 30-60 minutes.
My family joked while eating my eggs that “well if Steph is bringing desert we thought it’s gonna be something overly coconut-y…” and I laughed and said there was coconut in the eggs. They didn’t even notice. I love coconut, but the family is right in that most paleo treats are something overly coconut-y. Though these paleo treats aren’t the most nutritious thing you can eat – they were a delicious hit for a special occasion. Happy Easter!